CHMS Language Arts Course Overview
Our language arts curriculum is framed around the Common Core State Standards.
The language arts curriculum focuses on the following learning targets:
- I can accurately cite textual evidence when analyzing and synthesizing text.
- I can analyze and evaluate an author’s craft and text’s structure when making meaning.
- I can read and comprehend a variety of literary and informational texts with purpose and understanding.
- I can demonstrate and use knowledge of language and its conventions when writing, speaking, reading, or listening.
- I can use strategies to accurately determine the meaning of words and phrases, including building a deep understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings, as well as grade-level and domain-specific vocabulary.
- I can select strategies to make sense of text. (e.g., asking questions, making inferences, using context clues, etc.)
- I can develop, organize, refine and publish my writing through a process that focuses on style, craft, structure and conventions.
- I can collaborate with diverse partners and groups through formal and informal discourse, to broaden and challenge my thinking and the thinking of others; use questioning techniques and specific evidence to refute and support my claims and the claims of others; analyze the purpose of information and the motives behind its presentation and use.
- I can conduct short research projects.
- I can gather relevant information and assess its credibility to create original work, avoiding plagiarism and using a format for citation.
Assured Assessments and Experiences:
Assured assessments are completed by all students in 7th grade language arts. These provide all students with the opportunity to learn the same material and share important experiences across the 7th grade language arts classes.
CHMS Grading Policy and Percentages:
- Homework/Classwork 10%
- Quizzes 25%
- PBA (Performance Based Assessments) 30%
- Tests 35%
- 3 ring binder to share with SS and Language Arts
- Lined paper for binder
- One subject notebook/composition book for Reading Workshop
- Homework folder
- Package of divider tabs
- Package of blue or black pens
- Package of pencils (mechanical work well!)
- Sticky note pads